Laparoscopic surgery is a revolution in surgery where optimum results are achieved by minimizing trauma to the patient. It is also known as minimal access surgery where procedures are performed with the assistance of a video camera and several thin surgical instruments.
During the surgical procedures, small incisions of less than 1 cm are made and ports are placed through these incisions. The camera and surgical instruments are inserted through these ports and allow surgeon to access inside the patient with minimum trauma. The camera will transmit high quality digital images of organs inside the body that allow surgeon to perform the procedure precisely and safely.
Laparoscopic surgeries have been performed safely in thousands of patients worldwide. With advancement in technology, almost all conventional operations are possible by this technique.
Among laparoscopic procedures available in DEMC would be:
- All types of hernia surgeries (inguinal, incisional, umbilical, recurrent hernia, etc)
- Gallbladder surgery
- Small and large intestine
- Lower esophagus (GERD, achalasia, hiatus hernia, etc)
- Liver, spleen, adrenal, uterus
- Sympathectomy for palmar hyperhydrosis
- Kidney, ureter, bladder stones and other pathology
- Tubal ligation
- Ovarian pathology
- Uterine pathology
Bariatric surgery (For obesity)
- Gastric Banding
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Gastric Bypass
Laparoscopic surgery offers the benefits of:
- Less discomfort
- Less pain
- Shorter hospitalisation stay
- Early mobilisation
- Early return to normal activities
- Minimal scar
- Comparable result with conventional surgery.